Monday, September 7, 2009

Cleaning Out the Closets


September has always been a month of rejuvination for me. I get a full-gust of wind and start tons of projects (or, finally finish some!). I feel productive. Alive. I see the days ahead of me and they are full and ripe and bursting with possibility and potential.
I clean out closets. I'll get rid of the summer dresses and cute tank tops that have been my wardrobe and the girls' wardrobe all summer and find the long sleeved numbers, the jeans, the sweatshirts and the thick socks. I'll tuck the bathing suits into the back of the drawer, and hope that the next time I pull them out I could be more understanding of the body they cover.
I want my job to be full of rigor and movement, I want my students to see with clarity the potential before them. I want them to recognize the support they have and flourish under the wings of their mentors.
I want my wood floors to shine with a new lustre. I want the bathroom to be ever-fresh and for the white tiled floors to not piss me off any more. (Who does that, though?)
I'll sit outside and smell the air. I'll harvest my garden with vigor, realizing soon enough I'll be inside, watching the plants wilt and crumble into their winter slumber.
Right now, I'll go roast some fresh green beans from my backyard, and hope for the cucumbers to sprout.

2 comments:

ladyofthehouse said...

Wonderful post!! Fall does indeed invigorate, doesn't it? The picture you posted with it is gorgeous too!!

Erin said...

Could you send some of that crisp air down to the Dirty South? Thanks.