Thursday, June 25, 2009

Oh No You Diiiin't


Seriously, Oxygen channel? A dancing weight loss competition called Dance Your Ass Off? Is this in response to the surmised sad, poor and hefty viewers of So You Think You Can Dance who want to feel the burn of the hot spotlight? Was this an idea hatched to even the playing fields and to give everyone a chance?


I dunno.


This is a time when I'm judging too soon. But the commercials for this program make my skin itch. It's bad enough that we are constantly engaged in watching people stand in front of a firing squad of 'expert judges' to decide if they suck or not. If they should keep pursuing the only dream they ever had. But throw weight into the mix? I worry. Will they still get crapped on by the judges for being overweight? Or will the judging be based on a mixture of their dancing chops and their weight loss?


"Not only was that a perfect funkymcfunkydanceymove, but you've lost 17 pounds in one week! It's totally unhealthy and it's water weight but YOU have edged out the competition this week and you are above the purple line of death and destruction." Or something like that. I think what gets under my skin like a greedy little wood tick is the idea that this show is meant for dancers who are passionate and beautiful and talented and who just happen to be larger than other dancers. If I were a betting woman (which I'm not because I'm horribly cheap and I don't like to give away my money unless it's for a really good cause or unless I'm put on the spot and want to look good), I'll say that there will be an undercurrent theme here that the program is all about self-empowerment...loving yourself no matter what...beauty on the inside will trump all....the importance of embracing your true dancer! Which in my humble, defeats the whole purpose....WHY does it then need to be a diet show, then? Can't we have some larger dancers? Or do we NEED to have them be weighed for them to be successful? For the show to be watchable? Grrrr. I'm not sure why this chaps my ass the way it does but know this: my ass is really chapped! Like, needs some ass-chapstick chapped.


And then there's More To Love. It's Bachelor and Bachelorette for plus-size guys and gals. Really? Really? Can't we just have some plus-sized folks on the REAL show? Why do we need a separate frigging show? Irk Irk Irksome. You know why, and so do I. Would anyone watch it then, or would it be a joke? Would those really smart and funny and beautiful people just be fodder for late night stand-up? Would there be bets on how fast they'd get booted?


What do you think?






4 comments:

jason said...

Regarding the fat bachelor it needs it's own show because, quite frankly, the odds that the hot bachelor/bachelorette, would choose the fat one over the hot one, all other things being equal, is basically NIL. Why subject them to token fat guy to make other fat guys feel good and then get, predictably, crushed when the fatty gets the boot early. Just sayin'

Anonymous said...

When I saw the previews for big love I was horrified. I couldn't believe someone could pitch an idea like that and a network would catch it. Why?...I'm completely on board with you on all counts. I'm all for finding your inner thin person, working hard for physical health or evening the "playing field" so-to-speak, but seriously? It's a farce and another way for people to identify people with weight problems as different or in need of special circumstances. Anyone who signs up for reality TV has already opened the door to riducule, humiliation, and the possibility of being completely torn apart emotionally by the end, or at least the end for them, regardless of their size. Overweight people don't need a special show for that.

Erin said...

I'm totally not racist, but this seems akin to the Black Miss America pageant and did you know they actually have a Black Shopping Channel?
I have to disagree with Jason, though. I've been called a chubby chaser, and I think I'm still pretty smokin'. Not every chick goes for looks, although I'm sure most Bachelorettes could be shallow. I mean, they are lookin' for love on a TV show...

ladyofthehouse said...

There was a show years ago called 'Average Joe'. The girl had several 'average' guys to choose from - but as a twist, they brought in some model type men. Big surprise, she chose one of the model men. Then they took the "Joe" who made it the farthest and gave him a bachelor show. It ran the same way and he too chose a female 'model'.
Wouldn't it be nice if they did something where the people get to know each other first via correspondence or some other way to get to know each other before looks and sex played a part? Novel idea I know....

When I first heard of 'Dance Your Ass Off' I thought it was due to the celebs on 'Dancing With The Stars' taking off the lbs. Looks like they took something that could have been a good idea and turned it into a spectacle. As a plus sized woman, it saddens me to see others with 'more to love' put themselves in these situtations. But maybe what seems demeaning to me, may not be to them?..