Monday, July 2, 2007

LINGO


Context, some say, is everything. Take the language of your childhood home, for example. I'm always interested in hearing how things or events get their names in homes, especially those with children. I had a stuffed dog named 'Footsie' that I slept with for many a year. I loved this dog and showed it through the gradual gnawing of all of his facial features. What's funny is that this dog never had feet nor did he see (but that was probably b/c I ripped his eyes out with my teeth when I was 6). So, why the name 'Footsie'? I have no idea, but it was completely appropriate within the confines of my house (my girl is holding Footsie in the pic and is surrounded by Footsie II and Footsie III who were purchased when my kids were born, thanks Beth!).

In our house we have the Easter Monkey. A blue, satiny Easter Monkey. We all know who he is and the magical sleep-inducing powers he has over our toddler. But who on the 'outside' would know what the heck an Easter Monkey is? Truth told, we named him this because he's a monkey, natch, that was given to our daughter on Easter. That's it, no secret, no fancy lineage of ancient Easter Monkeys of the past. We also have the 'nappy noo-noo' which of course stands for 'nap'. I'm not sure about this one, it just kind of happened. But in someone else's house it could be 'sleepy sleep' (my mom likes this one) or 'snoozy time' or 'resties' or something of the like.

Maybe today we'll put our girl to bed for her nappy noo-noo with Easter Monkey and her new favorite friend, my old ratty Footsie.

3 comments:

Ruth L.~ said...

My oldest called his beloved blanket "buddah." And my daughter had a stuffed bear she called Pastor Bear because the minister of our church gave it to her when she was in the hospital at barely two-years-old. And me, I ate all the fur off a stuffed dog when I was little, but he still has his eyes. ;>)

Unknown said...

This is Sheina, not Bob. I'm so excited that you have a blog! It's fun to hear your inner thoughts in prose form. :) I had a favorite stuffed kitty and whale growing up, but what I really love is a teddy bear my mom gave me in high school. I called him Harold because that's what I thought was written on his foot. But about a year later, I realized it actually said Harrod, as in the store in England where she bought it. Oops. He's at school now where my KinderPreps can love on him. :)

Unknown said...

Great topic! We had this phrase "whoopies." If you called out "whoopies" it meant you were in the bathroom and needed some adult assistance. Sometimes my brother and I will yell "whoopies" when we visit just for kicks. Comedy indeed.