Monday, July 9, 2007

Smack


Good lord, I love coffee. I love pushing the on button of my coffeemaker. I love hearing the sound of it percolating or whatever it's doing. I love that first pour, knowing really the first cup is the best. The second will be okay, but it's the runner-up always to that first taste. I even love watching the cream swirl around in it followed by the twist of my spoon.

I've tried too many times to stop, but I just can't. It's not even the caffeine, so don't worry about shaking hands or DT's. I have been caffeine free for the most part for over two years now. Back to back babies and nursing will do that. I'm not even sure what the lure of it is, but it's been there for about 15 years. I remember drinking coffee in high school, but I'm not sure if that was an attempt at being a grown up or some other half-assed, poorly thought-out diet attempt.

I came back to it when I first started teaching, but it was more about the culture then the cup. Every morning while working in downtown Boston (tales from teaching there is a blog/book/movie in itself!), the teachers would hurry across Stuart Street to the Au Bon Pain in the Park Plaza Hotel. I loved all of it. The seductive aroma of the coffee, the air a bit thick from the freshly-baked scones, the French that the employees spoke to one another, but mostly the newly found camaraderie. We were teachers, we were sleep-deprived, but we were young and ready to hit the classrooms, a cup of brew in tow. The lines for joe and danish hadn't started yet because we were there so darn early, so it was a quick in and out....a rich French roast with a splash of cream and I was rarin' to go.

My idea of a good road trip is a full car and a Dunkin' Donuts decaf hazelnut with milk and one Splenda. Sunday mornings are all about The Boston Globe and a hot mug. Having company always includes making a fresh pot. And sometimes, like this morning, when I'm up before the rest of the brood, I have a few zen minutes by myself. To make some notes, to organize some coupons, to write here...all with my first cup du jour.

Do I need to stop? Nah. Not today anyway. I'll tap the vein for as long as I have filters in the cupboard and cream in the fridge.

3 comments:

Ruth L.~ said...

That first cup is usually my only cup for the day. From then on, it's tea for me, but the first cup unlocks the day. I'm drinking my first cup right now as I read this-- later than usual, but that's what vacations allow.

Anonymous said...

I have actually never had a cup of coffee...ever, but reading this almost makes me want to.

Ruth L.~ said...

Jen, I've tagged you. My June 15th blog entry will explain.

Take a deep breath, have a cup of coffee, and . . . the choice to "play" or not is yours alone. :>)