Thursday, September 27, 2007

Torque


Many of you know my family spent some time at Children's last week while our daughter was being evaluated. She was diagnosed, thankfully, with Celiac Disease, an intolerance to gluten. With a proper gluten-free diet, her intestines will heal and she will lead a normal life. We are beyond grateful that a diet change is the only course of action we need. We know how lucky we are, especially after spending even a few moments in the lobby.
I went for a follow-up visit this week, to see a nutritionist. I rolled into the parking lot 20 minutes early, knowing that with stroller set-up and pedestrian walking greens, I would be to my appointment right on time. I have a double stroller, natch, because I have two small children. I love this stroller, if you can love a stroller. Check it out here. Well, upon set-up, I realized that with all of my walks with the girls, the top part of the handle had come unscrewed. The screw was there, and I knew that a few quick twists with one of those thingy dingy Phillips head would do the trick. Would I have that in the car? Yes, I would. Why? Because my stepfather Frank, makes it a point to scare the hell out of us and force us into having an emergency kit. I have to admit, we've laughed a few times at the Rubbermaid tub in my trunk, filled with flares, spark plugs, anti-freeze, oil, a poncho (you know, in case it's wet or you have to pee on a boat) and yes, a small tool kit.
I knew I had no chance hefting around a 23 pound toddler and a growing infant in her car seat WITH a diaper bag (filled to the brim with two sets of diaper sizes, clothing 'just in case' and 97 snacks for my fussy and now gluten-free toddler) and my purse. I was a few minutes late due to my last minute stroller-project, but I was thrilled I didn't have to reschedule.
This reminded me of my driver's ed days. Frank was always even keeled and even toned in our driving time together. "Regulate your speed." "Turn on your high beams." "Turn off your high beams." "Jen, turn off your high beams." and on and on. He likened driving a standard to having the proper amount of, you guessed it, torque. (I'm still not sure to this day what it means.) So, despite my eye-rolling (not me!), huffing and puffing, and arguing about your 'good intentions', I know I'll eat a little crow on this one, and I don't mind a bit.
Does crow have gluten?

1 comment:

Ruth L.~ said...

I sent you an email about this issue. But this I know, it is doable. All the major supermarkets now have gluten frre aisles, so you don't even have to go far off the beaten path to find what you need. Kiss the smoosh and mush for me.