Thursday, November 12, 2009

Are You Kidding Me?


Let me set it up for you: My house is currently, an infirmary. We had two weeks at the end of last month that was snot-central. Where I hit the pediatrician's office every time I heard the wheeze of my youngest and got a sleeve crunchy with what I wiped off her face. I am pretty good and not flipping out about something that I can't directly control. I don't freak out when the terror-alert color changes. But this latest 'pandemic' has me checking cheeks and using rectal thermometers with a frequency that has my children developing a healthy fear of the vaseline jar. "It doesn't hurt honey. It just feels a little weird."


We've had two ER trips in the last two weeks (everybody's fine). If a trip to the ER doesn't stress you out, seeking people with masks on may. Or being quarantined in a room with other mask-wearers, may. Between the sleep-loss from midnight drives, sleep-loss from worrying that you're missing something, sleep-loss from hearing them cough, and sleep-loss from all the other reasons why you normally lose sleep, I'm tired. I'm really really tired.


So between my husband and myself, it's like Zombie-land at this house. Apart from the incredibly energetic bursts from the kiddos, which we're unfortunately trying to corral as they send them into long and painful coughing fits. Last night the youngest wanted to be up. And up she was. For hours. She also, apparently, wanted to get to the baby powder that's on the changing table. So, up she went with her spidey-like climbing limbs and she emptied it out. And then she got to the clippers (no blood loss). And honestly, nothing worked. No gentle reprimands. No redirections. No less-than-gentle reprimands. Usually my last-straw, "You go nigh-night!" does the trick but she may as well has just flipped me off last night. Girlfriend was not having it!


She finally, after three hours, made it into the big bed. Yes, she won! I lost! I caved! And it just didn't matter, because we both were desperate for sleep and I knew that not even an hour later, I would be peeling her Elmo-pajama'd body off my back and gently snuggle her in her own bed.


So I know you're stuck in your own sick spin cycle, but that's the view from mine. I'm off to Neti Pot.




No comments: