Monday, December 6, 2010

Gluten Free Partaaaay



I took my oldest daughter to a party this Sunday for kids who have Celiac Disease. We haven't been to many events, but I think she's old enough to enjoy herself and I wanted her to meet other kids who have Celiac as well.




I think, because it's such a part of how we live our lives, that I forget. I forget the fear and the panic when she was first sick, and we had no idea what it was. I forget about the week at Children's and her rapid weight loss and her bony body in the tub. I want to forget hearing the word 'mass' from the emergency room physician, forever. But on Sunday I remembered, because there were new parents there. You could tell they were new because of the panic in their eyes. Shoving by to get samples or to check a box or a new bread loaf. A nervous energy rippled throughout the event. They checked boxes feverishly, even though everything there was completely gluten free. They double checked with vendors. 'Are you sure?' They packed their totes with boxes upon boxes of gluten free stuff as if they'd never see it again. Their fear was fresh for them, like it was for us 3 years ago.




And I felt it too, with my daughter. She kept asking, "Mommy, can I have that?"




And I said, "Yes!".




But she kept asking. Because she knows she has to. Because we've trained her to.




And finally, I said something I've NEVER said to her before. "Samantha. You can have anything you want." And I filled up then, because it felt so wonderful to say it to her. And to know that she could, and she wouldn't get sick. No emergency room visits. No IV's and nurses holding her down to draw vial after vial of blood. No sore belly the next day from all night of wretching.




Nope, none of that would happen today. Just crumbs and buttercream frosting and sprinkles. Just a warm hand in mine, pulling me to another table of goodies. Just a smile that came from her toes. Just a really, really, really happy four year old girl.




Please see some of these links for fantastic gluten (and many other allergen) free foods:












http://www.aandjbakery.net/ This features egg and tree-nut free foods as well. Delicious!
















And, on Facebook, many of these companies have pages to 'Like'.




Please also check out the Children's Hospital Celiac Support Group on Facebook for great companies, recipes, and promotions.












1 comment:

Royanne said...

I was there, fearing your fear and my own, as Sammy deteriorated and the diagnosis was so slow in coming. To see her now, so almost five-year-old healthy and happy, is the greatest gift of the holidays. Admiring you and Jared for the way you have handled this, teaching her to be savvy but fearless. Warriors, all.
Love, Mom/GaGa