Thursday, January 3, 2008

ad-nauseum


Like we didn't know that New Year's was for making people less fat, we can turn on our televisions and be bombarded with commercials for new diet plans. Have you noticed? We watched some tv on the Bravo network on New Year's Day and it was amazing. Every single commercial was either for a pre-packaged food diet plan or an online weightloss program. Of course it's appropo, it's resolution time. How many years I made resolutions to drop elbees, I don't know. But it was too many. Why didn't I resolve to learn, once and for all, to play the guitar? I've stopped and started that too many damn times to count. What about resolving to learn a new language? A cool-cooking technique?


How about resolving not to resolve?


I did this a few years ago. It's been so friggin liberating, I can't begin to tell you. No more angst about my legs rubbing together. No more drama over my decision to put real milk or skim in my coffee (and just for the record....skim milk in your coffee? Jesus, what's the point? Just add some more water). No more bashing myself by February 1st because I hadn't lost 10 pounds in January like I had resolved to. Nope, none of that...just another day to shuffle around with my kiddos and be in the moment, with crushed crayons on the floor, leftovers in the fridge, and a mug of coffee in my hand. And maybe some cream for my chafed legs. ;-)




No comments: