Monday, April 28, 2008

Gloves On


"YOU VS. the SWIMSUIT!"


"Keep your eye on the prize. Go out and buy the swimsuit you want to wear. Hang it in your kitchen. Think of it as your opponent."


This is the new Special K promotion for their protein waters, cereal, and meal-replacement bars.


It made me a little pissy.


First of all, I think putting my swimsuit in my kitchen is kind of weird.


"Please pass the mayo...it's right behind the tankini."


Secondly, doesn't this contribute to all the bullshit body-hating stuff we do? Aren't we trying to work against it? It's even funnier to see the ad in a magazine that touts itself for being all about healthy women with healthy body images. That said, I'm all about dropping a few pounds if it's healthy. I'm all about psyching myself up for summer and feeling good about myself in a bathing suit. I want my girls to realize, too, that a healthy body is important. How would I explain my bathing suit in the kitchen to my kiddos?


"Well honey, I'm at war with my bathing suit. It's my opponent. I want to kick it's ass. So, I hang it here above the slivered almonds to remind myself that FAT IS BAD and that size 6 is GOOD. Here is your dinner. Don't eat too much now!"


What do you think?






2 comments:

Ruth L.~ said...

Pissy? How 'bout . . . so freakin' frustrated I don't plan to wear a bathing suit ever again. I want some advocasy for the mother of three kids, the youngest of who is nineteen. Just wait, Jen.

Ruth L.~ said...

Ahhh . . . you look great and you have many years of happy bathing suit wearing ahead before you get to my stage. But how come other women my age say, "What the hell? " and just go about their beach business?